Welcome to my Home!

Thanks for stopping by! I'm so glad you're here and hope you take the time to look around. There's going to be a lot of before and afters, ideas, inspiration, tips, tutorials, and whatever else I come upon during my journey of home renovation and decoration. We'll see where it takes us!

Friday, October 21, 2011

Perfectly Imperfect Wreath {DIY Decorate}

It doesn't seem right that I could love this wreath as much as do... but there it is.  Something about the perfectly imperfect nature of this wreath just makes my heart happy.



 I love the color contrasting off the bright white of the frame... I love the frou frou nature of it's frills against the rough and weathered wood.



There's alot of these floating around bloggy land and I was dying to try one out for myself.


If you are so inclined to try one out for yourself... here's how I made mine~

Fire up the trusty glue gun (mine has seen better days!) and pick out some ribbon.

Gather up some foam pipe insulation, about two packages of coffee filters (you can get these in white or natural), and some gorilla tape or duct tape.

You can find the pipe insulation at Home Depot (or other hardware stores) in the plumbing section.  There were five pieces in a packag priced at $2.47.  That's less than .50 per wreath form! 

Hold the edges together while you wrap the tape around it.  It's tricky, but keep those edges together so that your form ends up being circular instead of oval.


Don't worry if it doesn't look perfect, you just want a general shape... it will all be covered up soon.


Now, grab your coffee filters.  You can either fold up a bunch and start gluing or you can fold-glue-fold-glue.  I personally needed the time in between each gluing to recover from glue burns.


So, you will fold it in half, then into quarters...

...then into eighths.  I also folded the tip down to give a better surface to glue on.  Apply glue to the tip.  I found it important to let the glue cool for a moment.  If it's too hot it will melt the foam.  I'm sure this could be remedied by using a low heat glue gun.
Lay the form flat and start gluing, layer by layer.  I found it to be helpful to stagger the layers (like bricks) as you add each layer.  

There you have it.  I wasn't very anal about it and I personally like the casual look I ended up with.  It makes me happy every time I look at it! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me smile!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...